Go with manual/direct method of Thunderbird to outlook conversion and migrate Thunderbird email to Outlook PST. It helps you to open a TB mailbox in PST file.
How to migrate Thunderbird to Outlook? Search engines have a wide range of questions of this type. Therefore, we know that most of the users are looking for a solution to migrate Thunderbird to PST.
Despite the free and helpful features of Thunderbird, most users are turning to Outlook. This is because Outlook offers some features that Mozilla Thunderbird does not have and that is the reason for its migration.
How to migrate Thunderbird to Outlook 2019/2016/2013 & others
There are mainly two methods of transfer of each email client – manual and third-party solutions. Both methods are better for Thunderbird to Outlook conversions. Let us first discuss the manual process of migrating data from Thunderbird to Outlook.
First Manual way to transfer Thunderbird email to Outlook
By the below steps, you can easily migrate emails from Thunderbird to Outlook. Here, we need an online email client like Gmail, WebMail, etc.
- If you choose Gmail then click on the gear icon and choose setting option (same as for WebMail).
- Go to Forwarding and POP/IMAP and enable IMAP
- Now run Mozilla Thunderbird >> Click on email under setup an account
- Fill all the details carefully: Name, Email Address, and Password then click on continue
- Choose IMAP protocol
1. Incoming server: port 993 (imap.gmail.com)
2. Outgoing server: port 465, or port 587 (smtp.gmail.com)
Test and finish the process.
When Thunderbird is successfully configured with Gmail then we will configure Gmail in Outlook likewise.
- Open Outlook, go to the File tab and choose account setting
- Under email tab choose New
- Enable Exchange server, POP, IMAP, HTTP then clicks on the Next button.
- Check Manual configure server setting or additional server type and press the Next button.
- Under the User Information section, enter your Name & Email address.
- Enable internet email and hit next
- Fill details as shown below:
- Account Type: Choose IMAP
- imap.gmail.com – Incoming mail server
- smtp.gmail.com – Outgoing mail server (SMTP)
- Fill details for Logon Information, User Name & Password.
- Go to more setting tab > Outgoing Server > check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication, then Advanced button.
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993
- Check – Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing Server: 25
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: TLS
Now test if all is good then click on Ok and finish
Second Manual way to migrate Thunderbird to Outlook PST format
Most users prefer this second method for Thunderbird to Outlook conversion but it does not work on Outlook 2013 and above.
- Install Eudora email client in the local system
- Copy Thunderbird mailbox and paste TB files into Eudora directory
- Now change the file extension like MBOX to MBX
- Open MS Outlook and Go to file tab
- Choose “Import Export tool” option
- Select “import internet mail and address” then click on next button
- Choose Eudora (2x, 3x, 4x pro and light) and hit next.
- Browse the file location of Eudora mailbox and enable “Do not import duplicate item” (as per convenience)
- Select the destination of the TB file and hit on the finish button.
Why does the user avoid the manual conversion of Thunderbird to Outlook?
There are some restrictions or defect points in the quality of free conversion that damage your data in one way. If you handle the process then you may face some type of error/fact like-
- The first reason if you have stored the data in Maildir format then you cannot follow the second manual method.
- With larger mailboxes, it can also break your images and lose attachments.
- It does not maintain the same folder hierarchy due to several steps.
- The manual method does not export soft-deleted and orphaned emails.
- The user cannot perform bulk migration from Thunderbird to Outlook.
- It takes a lot of time and multiple steps which is not good for non-technical users.
Professional solution to migrate emails from Thunderbird to Outlook
There are a lot of professional solutions available, but we have fetched one of them – MailsDaddy Thunderbird to Outlook converter. This is a prominent application that works effortlessly and safely. The application built on the GUI interface is convenient even for novice users. Also, it is capable of migrating Thunderbird MBOX and Maildir data to Outlook.
- One of the advanced features is the auto-load option that allows you to load TB data in one click.
- Users can migrate the entire mail structure and properties from Thunderbird to Outlook without any alteration.
- There is no restriction on the number and size of mailboxes.
- Bulk export feature for exporting multiple mailboxes in a single go.
- You can use Search Mail Windows to migrate certain emails to Outlook PST.
- Migrate Thunderbird to Outlook PST, EML, MSG, HTML, MHTML & RTF format.
- Allow creating individual and separate PST file of all Thunderbird account email.
Through the post, you will have become aware of all the steps in migrating data from Thunderbird to Outlook. In a nutshell, the manual process is dependent on the file size and type while there is no interruption in the professional solution. To remove any kind of doubt, you can use the free demo version of Thunderbird to Outlook converter and export the first 25 emails from each mailbox.